«A royal residence, with beautiful and spacious gardens». So, at the end of the 17th century Carlo Celano described the villa behind Chiaia seaside that belonged to the family of Viceroy don Pedro de Toledo, long since converted into a cavalry barracks. Originally owned by the Dominicans, around 1525 the property was purchase by the banker Paolo Spìnola, then the Cardinal Pompeo Colonna, the entrepreneur Andrea Sbarra, and finally Ottavio Farnese, before before being sold in 1544 to García Álvarez de Toledo on behalf of his father. Subject to renovation and expansion that continued until the first two decades of the 17th century, the property was partially taken over in 1653 by the Royal Court to establish the new barraks of Ferrandina. Returning to use by the family after more than two centuries, around 1828 the residence underwent a radical refurbishment; the gardens, on the other hand, were largely parcelled out at the beginning of the last century.
Giuseppe Pignatelli Spinazzola
University of Campania Luigi Vanvitelli, Italy - ORCID: 0000-0001-5038-3730
Titolo del capitolo
La villa di García Álvarez de Toledo a Chiaia. Origine, trasformazioni e permanenze di un presidio familiare
Autori
Giuseppe Pignatelli Spinazzola
Lingua
Italiano
DOI
10.36253/979-12-215-0854-3.09
Opera sottoposta a peer review
Anno di pubblicazione
2025
Copyright
© 2025 Author(s)
Licenza d'uso
Licenza dei metadati
Titolo del libro
NeaVia La villa napoletana. Antichità e natura tra Rinascimento e Barocco
Sottotitolo del libro
Atti del Convegno Nazionale di studi
Curatori
Maria Gabriella Pezone, Angela Michela Convertini
Opera sottoposta a peer review
Numero di pagine
236
Anno di pubblicazione
2025
Copyright
© 2025 Author(s)
Licenza d'uso
Licenza dei metadati
Editore
Firenze University Press
DOI
10.36253/979-12-215-0854-3
ISBN Print
979-12-215-0853-6
eISBN (pdf)
979-12-215-0854-3
Collana
Studi e saggi
ISSN della collana
2704-6478
e-ISSN della collana
2704-5919